Mr J Malcolm was the first President of the Club and he donated its first trophy. In those days if a player won a trophy three times he kept it and a replacement would be bought by the original donor. As early as 1898, when the club was just 5 years old, Mr Malcolm had to purchase a new trophy as Mr J P Parke had won the original Malcolm Trophy for the third time in that year. Because of that tradition there have been a few Malcolm Trophies. It was won outright in 1936 by Mr Bob Dewart and again in 1952 by Mr W C Rawle.
Its current holder is Michael McSherry who scored what must be one of the lowest ever scores to win it, although for many years it was played as a match play competition. Michael went round in a remarkable 62 shots which included 9 birdies and one bogey.
In this photo we can see Club Captain Alec Hamilton presenting the Malcolm Trophy to H Jordan in 1969.
Reaching the age of 21 is sometimes referred to as reaching the ‘age of majority’, and when the Club reached its 21st birthday in 1914 it purchased two trophies to be named The Majority Cups. These were to be played for in an annual Mixed Foursomes event and are still played for to this day. In order to ensure that no further cups would have to be purchased, the Council stipulated that the ‘win three times and retain the trophy’ tradition would not apply to these cups. At the AGM of that year the President, Mr Watson, commended the decision to purchase the cups but expressed his disappointment at this stipulation.
The winners this year were the husband and wife team of John and Margaret O’Neill who may well echo Mr Watson’s disappointment as this was their third time to win the cups.
The Johnston Trophy
The Johnston Trophy was originally a Captain’s Day prize in the early 1900s and won by one of the Johnston family. It takes the form of an inkwell with two silver golf balls holding the ink. These seem to have been a popular prize in those days as there is a variety of inkwells in the display of old prizes in the cabinet in the hallway of the Club.
Mr J J J Johnston presented them to the Club in 1982 and they are played for each year. This year’s holder is Terence Eagers
The RIR Cup
The Royal Irish Rifles were stationed in Lurgan Castle at the start of the First World War while they waited to be called to battle. When they left in 1915 the officers of the Regiment gave the Club a donation to purchase a Challenge Cup for competition among the members. This became known as The RIR Cup. It was first played for on Easter Monday, 1915, and is still played for on that day each year. The first winner was J S Garrick.
This year’s holder is Graham McNeill
The Peace Cup
In August 1919 Lt Col William Allen, MP, donated a perpetual challenge cup to the club and it was named The Peace Cup. This was to mark the conclusion of the First World War and the trophy is beautifully decorated with an olive branch and topped with The Angel of Peace.
Lt Col Allen had helped in selecting and preparing members of the Royal Irish Rifles for the war and later served as their commanding officer. He died in 1947 two weeks after being knocked down by a motor van while alighting from a tram on the Lisburn Rd in Belfast.
The current holder is Douglas Houston
The Victory Cup
The Victory Cup was presented to the Club by Mr J Johnston in 1919 to mark victory in the war. The winner for the first two years was Mr J H O’Neile.
This year’s winner was Neale McKinstry.