The first golf course in Ireland was at the Curragh in Co Kildare and there are records of golf being played there in 1852. The Royal Curragh Golf Club was formed in 1858 and it is considered as being the oldest golf club in Ireland. By 1890 there were 12 golf clubs in the country but the next decade saw a period of very quick growth. The Golfing Union of Ireland was formed in 1891 and the Ladies’ Golfing Union of Great Britain and Ireland in 1893. Between 1890 and 1899 a further 60 clubs were formed and Lurgan became one of those clubs in 1893.